FR EN
FR EN
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Hungry-Mama's Guide for Fisherman/Fishmonger

By Disgustus October 31, 2016, 15:11:30
What follows is a copy/paste of the original guide that I wrote on the PC/Mac/Linux Dofus forum. It's become irrelevant there since the profession system has been completely overhauled, but for the version that Dofus-Touch is following, it's still accurate. Regarding how much money you can earn with this pair of professions, keep in mind that the numbers quoted are based on the PC/Mac/Linux Dofus version - the Dofus-Touch economy at the time that I'm publishing this guide is still having a lot of price fluctuation. This guide served me well as a fisherman and fishmonger, and know it'll work for you, too. For the sake of good feels, I've left the entire guide untouched in its original state. My old alt Hungry-Mama still exists on Rushu, but I'm not going to migrate the name to Touch. Happy fishing.

Introduction
Hello, dears; I'm Hungry Mama, and you can call me anything, but don't ever call me late for dinner. You already know me from my guide for Hunters and Butchers, but for new-comers keep in mind that this guide is written from the position that you are both a Fisherman and a Fishmonger and that you'll be levelling both professions on your own from zero experience. Everything I've written here has been proven by my own experience - no guesswork or prediction - and I know if you follow this guide it will also work for you. It's possible that Ankama might eventually revise elements of the Fisherman or Fishmonger professions, so if that happens and I don't notice it - or if you just have some questions or comments – you can send me an Ankabox message or reply to this thread.

Why Catch and Cook Fish?
The first reason to catch and cook fish is because you'll never pay one red kama to anybody else for your own health-point food. It's true that you'll pay for resources from the Grocery Store, but in the long run you'll save millions of kamas, and to quote the sage, “A kama saved is a kama earned.” Another advantage to catching and cooking fish is that you can compete with both bakers and butchers. Bakers compete by selling large quantities of heavy, low-quality, health-point food at low prices. Because the Fishmonger can cook two-star recipes which require only one fish but weigh three pods, you can prepare very cheap cooked fish which will be attractive to low-levelled players with typically smaller budgets. Butchers compete by selling small quantities of light-weight, high-quality health-point food at high prices. Because the Fishmonger can cook three-star recipes which require two fishes but weigh only one pod, you can prepare very cheap cooked fish which will be attractive to high-levelled players with typically larger budgets.

Bakers are like McDonalds – they produce large quantities of cheap, low-quality food for customers with small budgets. Butchers are like Carl's Junior – they produce small quantities of expensive, high-quality food for customers with large budgets. But Fishmongers are like Burger King: “You can have it your way.” Fishmongers can cook low-quality two-star recipes with a wide range of health-point recovery for customers with smaller budgets, but can also cook high-quality three-star recipes with a wide range of health-point recovery for customers with larger budgets. There's something for every customer at the Fishmonger's Market! Speaking for myself, I catch and cook fish because I enjoy the challenge of raising a fisherman, it works well with my role-play. I also enjoy Fisherman because I often log on several times each day for less than 30 minutes and can have fun chatting with my guildmates while I set a few lines in the water. Finally, I chose Fisherman and Fishmonger because they are under-represented professions and – like all under-represented professions – it's easier to corner the market. If there are 5,000 Farmers, then I'm just 1/5,000th of the workforce. But on the Zato server, at the time I started this writing, there are only 135 Fishermen, and of that only a handful are level 100. Think about it.

As a fisherman you can also feed the other hungry inhabitants of the World of 12: dragoturkeys and pets. Mounts have energy, and when that energy reaches zero they can't be mounted; for that reason, there is a constant demand for fishermen to provide whole or gutted raw fish to breeders to feed their stables. This is inexpensive to do because obviously raw fish doesn't need to be cooked – it's already ready already. Fish-eating pets, of course, will literally die if they don't eat, so there's a strong motivation to buy raw whole or gutted fish in that respect. Fishermen and Fishmongers also benefit in that they have very low production costs. There is no cost to either gut fish for cooking or gut fish used to feed dragoturkeys, and all Fishmonger recipes cost less than the number of health-points restored. What this means for Fishmongers is that they can cook almost anything for anybody and can price all of their two-star cooked fish at one kama per two (and sometimes even three) health-points recovered and still make a profit. It also means that Fishmongers can price their three-star cooked fish at two and sometimes even three kamas per health-points recovered and make a great profit. Speaking for myself, I usually price all my three-star cooked fish at one kama per health-point restored because it's competitive with the Baker's market and I can still make a profit.

Finally, Fishermen and Fishmongers are the only professionals in the World of 12 capable of catching and cooking the rare fish needed to craft the Sucker Set, the Inky Veil, and a handful of other items. It is my opinion that learning a profession for no other reason than to catch certain rare fish to craft just four pieces of end-game gear is unwise, but that doesn't change the fact that you can catch the rare fish used to craft the Sucker Set or Inky Veil and sell them for tremendous amounts of money. Before the 2.13 update Fishermen were unable to gather fish in enough quantity that Fishmongers could produce enough inventory to compete with Bakers. For this reason, the Fishmonger market has historically been under-represented and most players have historically not chosen cooked fish as their primary health-point food. Before the 2.13 update, I made almost no money as a Fishmonger and the bulk of my income came from selling 10,000 to 90,000 kamas worth of raw fish every day. After the 2.13 update, I was able to gather fish in sufficient quantities to keep my listings on the Fishmonger's market full and I recorded a week's sales as 685,000 kamas. If you want to see my specific sales from this period, scroll down to the comments section and find comment #11 where I discuss this situation again.

After the 2.13 update, Fishermen were able to gather much larger quantities of fish meaning that the price of raw fish plummeted but the availability of cooked fish went up. Because I fight more resource protectors after the 2.13 update, I've gathered more rare fish and in the two weeks after it was released sold a Siktrin Bass, Dark Sardine, and a Tupe-Halett Pike for over a million kamas. Rare fish used to craft Inky Veils and pieces from the Sucker set have always been valuable, but with increased resource protectors for Fishermen we can expect the price to drop and the general pattern to be that Fishmongers will become a competitive force against Butchers, Bakers, and Alchemists in the consumables maarket. At the time of this writing, I'm selling more cooked fish more often to more customers and making more money as a Fishmonger post 2.13 than I was pre 2.13.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The good thing about catching and cooking fish is that it has no relation to your character build or level, which means that this profession (unlike Hunter/Butcher) is accessible to any player and can be mastered without attaining a high character level. It's an easy, laid-back profession that gives lots of time to chat and make jokes with friends, wait for Kolo fights, and (if you're an Alchemist) pick flowers as you walk. Fishermen have no production costs at all, and Fishmongers have very inexpensive recipes. Fisherman and Fishmonger are quite nearly a self-contained pair of professions and you won't go to too much trouble to produce your consumables (unlike high-level Bakers who require raw meat for their breads, and high-level Hunters/Butchers who require several resources from other level 100 professionals.) Heck, if you're feeding dragoturkeys, you won't have to spend any money at all to process your fish – they're already ready already. 

The bad thing about Fisherman and Fishmonger is that you have very little control over what fish you catch. Speciality rods will increase your chances of catching certain fish, but they don't guarantee you'll catch what you want every time you cast your rod. Finally, the Sucker set which in the past drove up the value of rare fishes has dropped in value compared to new sets released with Frigost III, which means even if you catch rare fish you may not even be able to sell them. The Fishmonger's market is to some extent also controlled by the prices set at the Baker's market which – as we all know – is severely depressed by Baker bots who churn out zillions of loaves of bread every day. Fishmongers are much better able to deal with this situation than Butchers, but it is still a reality which must be confronted when it comes time to price your cooked fish.

The ugly thing about Fishermen is that this profession demands a lot of time. Since the 2.13 update, Fishermen now have a 100% catch rate, but it's still a time-consuming point-and-click profession. I began raising my Fisherman on May 2nd 2013 and finished it on July 4th 2013. To give you perspective, I've raised both Hunter/Butcher both to 100 in less than two weeks, Alchemist to 100 in less than three weeks, and both Farmer/Baker to 100 in less than a week. The other ugly part of the Fisherman profession is that there are only a handful of speciality fishing rods.

On a personal note, it's worth stating that there are no bots catching, gutting, and cooking fish, so when you buy cooked fish at the Fishmonger's Market you're giving money to real, actual players and shutting out the Baker bots who artificially depress the prices of health-point consumables.

Learning the Profession
The Fisherman and Fishmonger professions are learned by speaking with certain characters. To become a Fisherman, you can speak with Foreman Ikure outside the Incarnum Inn, Si Nighford at the Astrub Pond, and Bhan Laka just south of Madrestram Harbor along the Kawaii River. You can learn Fisherman with Foreman Ikure in Incarnum if you're below character level 30, but after that you'll have to speak with either Si Nighford or Bhan Laka. If you have to speak with the latter, they'll each give you a go-get-it quest where you have to speak with a nearby Fishmonger character to retrieve bait. There's a five-minute limit to these quests, but they don't take longer than 30 seconds to finish. If you become a Fisherman in Incarnum, then you'll get your first fishing rod for free from Foreman Ikure, but if you start Fisherman in Astrub or Sufokia then you'll have to purchase it from either Si Nighford or Roupi Chipon for 200 kamas. 

To become a Fishmonger, you'll have to speak with either Bish Fone at the Fishermen and Fishmongers' Workshop in Astrub or Roupi Chipon outside the Fishermen and Fishmongers' Workshop in Sufokia. Regardless of where you become a Fishmonger, you'll still have to purchase a Fishmonger's Cleaver for 200 kamas from the character who initiates you into the profession.

Classes, Character Builds, and Gear
There are no recommended classes or character builds for Fishermen, but there are some strategies you can follow to gain certain benefits. The first and most obvious strategy is that you can craft your character as a Chance build in order to gain the highest possible number of prospection points. Having high prospection points won't help you catch common fish, but it will help you when you fight devourers (also called resource protectors) who can drop expensive rare fishes. 

The second strategy is to craft your character as a Strength build to gain the highest possible number of pods. It doesn't seem like much as a lower-levelled Fisherman, but as your fishing times decrease you'll be fishing for longer and gathering potentially more fish than you have room to carry. If you like to go on marathon fishing trips, then having high pods will mean you'll make fewer trips to the bank.

The third strategy is to craft your character as either an Intelligence or Agility build. The reason for this isn't obvious at first, but you have to remember that the Astrub Deep Tunnels and Amakna Castle Tunnels (also called the rat tunnels) are populated by sewer rats who are weak to both Fire and Air. Because the Rat Tunnels are fished much less frequently than other places, if you have a strong Intelligence or Agility character this means you'll be able to make fast work of rats and fish one of the best series of fishing holes in the game without being crowded by other Fishermen. You may think it's silly to craft your character as an Intelligence or Agility build, but when you hit level 70 Fisherman and want to poke your eyes out, the Rat Tunnels are going to start looking really good.

There are also no true requirements for Fishermen and Fishmongers with respect to mounts, sets, and weapons. You can choose Strength gear for more pods; Chance or Prospection gear for rare fishes; or Intelligence or Agility gear if you want to take advantage of the rarely-fished Rat Tunnels; but it's really up to you.

Tools of the Trade
As your skill as a Fisherman progresses, you'll be able to use bigger and better fishing rods. Speciality fishing rods can increase your chances of catching the fish in question, but they don't guarantee that you'll catch what you want. Patience is a virtue, and if you're fishing for experience (and not for rare fishes) then you're probably better off with whatever rod is available to you with the longest range. The Short Fishing Rod will be given to you for free by Foreman Ikure in Incarnum if you start Fisherman under his tutelage, but if you start outside of Incarnum you'll have to purchase them as you go. You can buy your basic fishing rod from Si Nighford at the Astrub Pond, but for your one-stop shopping convenience you can purchase all your rods from Bhan Laka at the Fishermen and Fishmongers' Workshop just south of Madrestram Harbor. The only exception is the Magic Snapper Fishing Rod, which you'll have to purchase from Mer at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia. Once you've purchased these rods, I recommend you keep them in either your mount's inventory or your bank account. You won't gain anything from selling them, but if you find that there's an Almanax offering for a specific fish or you want to equip your Prospection set and fish for rares, you'll want to keep them on hand.
  • Short Fishing Rod: profession level 1, range 1. Increases your chance of catching Gudgeon.
  • Fishing Rod for Snappers: profession level 1, range 5. May only be used at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia to catch snappers.
  • Standard Fishing Rod: profession level 10, range 3.
  • Cubic Fishing Rod: profession level 30, range 4. Increases your chance of catching Breaded Fish.
  • Knitting Needle: profession level 30, range 4. Increases your chance of catching Kittenfish.
  • Big Fishing Rod: profession level 40, range 5.
  • Cho's Fishing Rod: profession level 60, range 6. Increases your chance of catching Ediem Carp.
  • Magic Snapper Fishing Rod: profession level 60, range 6. Increases your chance of catching Magic Snappers.
  • Love Rod: profession level 60, range 6. Increases your chance of catching Kraloves.
  • Telescopic Fishing Rod: profession level 70, range 7.
  • The Big Pole: profession level 100, range 8. Increases your chance of catching Perch.
  • Harpoon Fishing Rod: profession level 100, range 8. Increases your chance of catching Sickle-Hammerhead Sharks.

Complimentary Professions
The only truly complimentary profession for Fishermen and Fishmongers is Alchemist. The reason for this is that at higher levels you'll require Five-Leaf Clover and Mint to cook Perch and Blue Skate. If you choose not to level an Alchemist, you're going to find it very difficult to make progress as a Fishmonger. Conceivably, you could also choose to be Shieldsmith since you could use gutted Sardines, Lard Bass, and Sharks to craft Sharkal Shields. If you can make it work for you, then you should do it, but I found that Alchemist is a much better choice than Shieldsmith.

What's on the Menu?
The Fisherman catches fish for a living, and although it would be nice if he could go to any body of water and sink a link to pull up fishes, in Dofus he has to go looking for gathering locations. Specifically, the Fisherman is looking for ripples on the water. If you're walking by a river and hover your mouse of the lighter-colored ripples, you'll see that they're a gathering location for Fishermen. A Fisherman's gathering locations come in four sizes (small, medium, large, and giant) and two types (river and sea.) At the beginning, the Fisherman can only catch small river fish, but as he progresses he may catch larger fish from both fresh and salt water locations.

Obviously, the Fishmonger cooks the fish caught and gutted by the Fisherman. Like I've talked about before, the Fishmonger's blessing is that his fixed production costs are very low and he only needs a few ingredients which aren't purchased from the grocery store. This is a list of all the ingredients used by the Fishmonger:
  • Crab Stick, gutted (only used for Grilled Bass)
  • Five-Leaf Clover (only used for Seared Perch)
  • Frying Oil (used in many recipes)
  • Grawn, whole (only used for Stuffed Pike)
  • Kerub Hairs (only used for Snapper a la Kerub)
  • Lemon (used in many recipes)
  • Onion (used in many recipes)
  • Pepper measure (used in many recipes)
  • Salad (only used for Grilled Bass and Icefish)
  • Salt Measure (used in many recipes)
  • Spices (only used for Spicy Shark and Icefish)
  • Strawberry (only used for Snapper a la Kerub)
  • Tasty Juice (used in many recipes)
  • Wild Mint Leaf (only used for Skate Wing)

Unlike the Butcher, the Fishmonger's list of ingredients is very short, very cheap, and easily gathered by an Alchemist. You'll notice on this list that there are some fish, so I'll say it again later, but I'll say it again now: in your hurry to reach level 40 Fisherman, do not gut your Grawn, and in your hurry to level your Fishmonger do not cook your gutted Crab Sticks. The un-gutted Grawn you're going to want when you start cooking Pike, and the gutted Crab Stick you'll want when you start cooking Lard Bass. If you choose to gut your Grawn and cook your Crab Sticks, you're going to be a frustrated Fishmonger when you have lots of Pike and Bass but no fish with which to stuff them.

Before continuing, it is worth noting that there are some things which I have not included in the details or costs of the following recipes. First, I have not included in the cost of the recipes Salad gathered from Blops or the plants and flowers gathered by Alchemists. You either have to include the cost of these items in your recipes, or – and this is what I recommend – gather them yourself or else use a perecptor to gather them for you. After the 2.14 update in August 2013, perceptors now gather resources from every successful fight concluded within the territory in which they were placed. That means if you place a perceptor in any of the regions of Cania where blops can be found, every time a player defeats a mob containing blops your perceptor will get a loot roll from that fight. In other words, you can set a perceptor and let other players gather your Salad for you. It also means that you can place a perceptor and hunt in the same territory, effectively doubling up on the time you spend hunting and earning more income on the resources you gather.

I not included in the details of the following recipes information about fish-eating pets. For some fish I have included details because the different fish give different bonuses for the same pet, but pets which eat any fish are not listed. So, for your edification, I present a list of all the pets in Dofus which are known to me to eat fish:
  • Atooin
  • Bow Meow
  • Little Black Bow Wow
  • Pingoku
  • Snowfoux
  • Tabby Bow Meow
  • Angora Bow Meow
  • Crocodyl

If you have the time and the patience for it, raising pets can be a profitable business. If you leave a pet equipped or in your inventory it will go hungry and lose health-points when you don't feed it according to schedule, so remember that you can get around this problem by leaving pets in either your mount's inventory or your bank account where apparently they never go hungry. I don't recommend that you ever leave a pet at the Day Care. I once made the mistake of leaving more than 50 pets at the Day Care while I went out of country for a week to visit relatives. To make a long story short, I incurred over 200,000 kamas worth of day-care fees when I returned. So don't do what I did and don't use the Day Care.

Small, Medium, Large, and Giant River Fish
Gudgeon and Kiye Gudgeon
The Gudgeon is caught only from small river fish locations. Its rare version, the Kiye Gudgeon, restores 100 health-points and permanently raises Wisdom one point up as high as 10. The Kiye Gudgeon is used to craft a Kringlove, part of the Sucker set, and can usually be sold for a very high price. After you've achieved level 10 Fishmonger, you're better off not gutting and cooking Gudgeon: it's better to sell them as food for Dragoturkeys or ingredients for Handymen to craft keys. The Gudgeon is used for the following:
  • Sliced Gudgeon** +10 HP, 3 pods, 1 kama to cook
  • Sliced Gudgeon*** +15 HP, 1 pod, 2 kamas to cook
  • Alteration Potion (Crafted by Alchemists and used by Miners to craft soul stones)
  • Sand Dungeon key
  • Food for Bow Meow (+Intelligence)
  • Kringlove (Kiye Gudgeon)

Trout and Ancestral Trout
Trout are gathered from small and medium river fish locations. It rare version, the Ancestral Trout, restores 200 health-points and permanently raises Wisdom one point as high as 20. As with Gudgeon, after you've achieved level 10 Fishmonger you're better off not gutting and cooking Trout: it's more economical to sell Trout as food for mounts and pets. Trout are used for the following:
  • Trout Flambe** +15 HP, 3 pods, 4 kamas to cook
  • Trout Flambe*** +30 HP, 1 pod, 6 kamas to cook
  • Food for Bow Meow (+Chance)

Kittenfish and Tiger Fish
The Kittenfish is caught from small, medium, and large river fish locations. Its rare version, the Tiger Fish, restores 400 health-points and permanently raises Wisdom one point as high as level 40. The Kittenfish can be sold raw to feed mounts and fish-eating pets, but its three-star recipe is an attractive purchase for many low-levelled players and for me has been a popular seller. The Kittenfish is used for the following:
  • Smoked Kittenfish** +30 HP, 3 pods,3 kamas to cook
  • Smoked Kittenfish +45 HP, 1 pod, 3 kamas to cook

Ediem Carp and Small Sandy Carp
The Ediem Carp is caught from medium, large, and giant river fish locations. Its rare version, the Small Sandy Carp, restores 600 health-points and permanently raises Wisdom one point as high as 60. The Small Sandy Carp is used to craft the Head Band, part of the Sucker set, and can be sold for a very high price. Carp are popular sellers and are used for the following:
  • Steamed Carp** +65 HP, 3 pods,10 kamas to cook
  • Steamed Carp*** +100 HP, 1 pod, 14 kamas to cook
  • Head Band (Small Sandy Carp)
Pike and Tupe-Halett Pike
Pike are caught from medium, large, and giant river fish locations. Its rare version, the Tupe-Halett Pike, is used to craft the Kringlove, part of the Sucker set, and can be sold for a very high price. Generally speaking, the only reason I would cook Pike is if I was raising a Fishmonger, and even then only if I had the whole Grawn available to do so. You'll probably find in your experience that Pike are better off as raw food for dragoturkeys. Pike are used for the following:
  • Stuffed Pike** +40 HP, 3 pods, 14 kamas to cook
  • Stuffed Pike*** +70 HP, 1 pod, 21 kamas to cook
  • Kringlove (Tupe-Halett Pike)

Lard Bass and Siktrin Bass
The Lard Bass is caught from large and giant river fish locations. Its rare version, the Siktrin Bass, is used to craft the Head Band, part of the Sucker set, and can be sold for a very high price. Lard Bass require gutted Crab Sticks, so remember: after catching sea fish, do not gut and sell your crab sticks because you'll want them later. Lard Bass also require Salad to cook, but it's usually available on the Resource Market at a very low price. If not, it's very easy to gather Salad from blops and – if you're an Alchemist – you'll be able to use your blop resources for a variety of other potions. Lard Bass are used for the following:
  • Grilled Bass** +90 HP, 3 pods, 26 kamas to cook
  • Grilled Bass*** +170 HP, 1 pod, 34 kamas to cook
  • Head Band (Siktrin Bass)
  • Sharkal Shield (Gutted Lard Bass)

Perch and Kittenperch
Perch are caught only from giant river fish locations. Its rare version, the Kittenperch, heals 700 health-points and permanently raises Wisdom one point as high as 100. Perch are delightful, but they require as much as 4 Five-Leaf Clovers each to cook so unless you've got an Alchemist who can gather them, you're out of luck. I strongly encourage you to raise an Alchemist because Perch is one of the best recipes your Fishmonger can cook and without it you'll find it difficult to earn kamas. Perch are used for the following:
  • Seared Perch** +150 HP, 3 pods, 36 kamas to cook
  • Seared Perch*** +200 HP, 1 pod, 54 kamas to cook

Magic Snapper
Before telling you any more about the Magic Snapper, you need to watch Bill Engval tell you all about the legendary Dorkfish because he's completely right: the picture you see in Dofus of the Magic Snapper shows a fish with an idiot expression its face and an upper jaw that extends further than the lower jaw. The Magic Snapper is the Dorkfish of Dofus because it turns you into a Snapper like what you see at the Rocky Inlet north-east of Astrub. It's a practical joke item and if you eat it for the health-points then you get what you deserve. It's much smarter to save your Dorkfish and force-feed it to unsuspecting players using the “Target” function and watch as they hilariously transform into a Snapper. You can even make fun of the poor sod you just transformed and call him a Dorkfish. Magic Snapper doesn't have two- or three-star recipes – it is what it is – and the recipe isn't too much trouble.

The two most difficult things about cooking a Dorkfish is that you have to catch it and you also need Kerub hairs from Kerub Crepin in Astrub. Dorkfish are only caught using the Magic Snapper fishing rod purchased from Mer at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia located at (17,26). Dorkfish are only caught from large and giant river fish locations, and with the Magic Snapper rod's comparatively short range of six cells you're going to be walking around a bit to find fishing locations you can actually reach. And the thing of it is, Dorkfish don't bite very often – you could spend 30 minutes fishing and only catch 10 of them. If you decide to sell your Dorkfish on the market, you can probably set your price anywhere between 10,000 and 20,000 kamas. As for myself, I don't sell mine because I prefer to use them on zaap sitters.

Small, Medium, Large, & Giant Sea Fish
Grawn and Horror Grawn
Grawn are caught from small sea fish locations. Its rare version, the Horror Grawn, heals 100 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence one point as high as 10. The Horror Grawn is used to craft the Inky Veil and can be sold for a very high price. Also, the common Grawn is used in the craft of the Fisherman Amulet; since you can gather your own Grawn, you can purchase the remaining ingredients and hire a Jeweller to craft these amulets for you which, when crushed, will produce a high volume of powerful Chance runes (which you can in turn sell for a large profit on the Rune Market.) After your Fishmonger has achieved level 10, I recommend that you do not gut or cook Grawn because you'll want to save them for cooking Stuffed Pike or crafting Fisherman amulets. Grawn are used for the following:
  • Grawn Fritters** +10 HP, 3 pods, 2 kamas to cook
  • Grawn Fritters*** +15 HP, 1 pod, 2 kamas to cook
  • Stuffed Pike** +40 HP, 3 pods, 14 kamas to cook
  • Stuffed Pike*** +70 HP, 1 pod, 21 kamas to cook
  • Food for Bow Meow (+Intelligence)
  • Fisherman Amulet (to be shattered for Chance runes)
  • Inky Veil (Horror Grawn)
  • Plate of Scrampi (hidden recipe)

Plate of Scrampi
I'm presenting this recipe out of order because it's a hidden recipe and doesn't appear in the list of recipes a Fishmonger can craft at his or her workbench. The Plate of Scrampi is cooked from 10 Grawn Fritters***, 10 Salad, and 5 Lemon. There isn't anything special to this recipe – it's 5 pods and only heals 50 health-points – but it's a fun present for role-play. The Plate of Scrampi is also used in a Brakmarian alignment quest, so conceivably you could sell it on the Fishmonger's market but it depends on Brakmarians who've completed all necessary quests to buy it so you can bet it's going to sit for a while (or not sell at all.)

Crab Stick and Exotic Crab Stick
The Crab Stick is gathered from small and medium sea fish locations. Its rare version, the Exotic Crab Stick, heals 400 health-points and will permanently raise your Intelligence one point as high as 30. After your Fishmonger achieves level 10, I recommend that you do not cook your Crab Sticks because they're used in the craft of a more valuable recipe, Grilled Bass. If you cook your Crab Sticks, this will make it more difficult for you to earn an income and gain experience when you start catching Lard Bass. The Crab stick is used for the following:
  • Crab Stick** +15 HP, 3 pods, 4 kamas to cook
  • Crab Stick*** +30 HP, 1 pod, 4 kamas to cook
  • Grilled Bass** +90 HP, 3 pods, 26 kamas to cook
  • Grilled Bass*** +170 HP, 1 pod, 34 kamas to cook

Breaded Fish and Igloo Fish 
Breaded Fish are caught from small, medium, and large sea fish locations. Its rare version, the Igloo Fish, heals 300 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence one point as high as 10. Breaded Fish aren't used in any other recipes, but their three-star recipe heals a respectable 50 health-points and for me has been a popular seller. The Breaded Fish is used for the following:
  • Fried Breaded Fish** +30 HP, 3 pods, 6 kamas to cook
  • Fried Breaded Fish*** +50 HP, 1 pod, 6 kamas to cook

Shiny Sardine and Dark Sardine
Shiny Sardines are caught from medium, large, and giant sea fish locations, and they are also caught from Frigost fish locations. Its rare version, the Dark Sardine, heals 400 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence by one point as high as 40. The Dark Sardine is used to craft a piece of the Sucker set, the Kralomansion, and can be sold for a very high price. Gutted Shiny Sardines are used to craft the Sharkal Shield, but depending on demand from Shieldsmiths you're probably better off just cooking them for sale at the Fishmonger's Market.
  • Fried Sardine** +40 HP, 3 pods, 8 kamas to cook
  • Fried Sardine*** +70 HP, 1 pod, 10 kamas to cook
  • Kralomansion (Dark Sardine)
  • Sharkal Shield (Gutted Shiny Sardine)

Kralove and Unique Kralove
Kralove are caught from medium, large, and giant sea fish locations, and they are also caught from Frigost fish locations. The rare version, the Unique Kralove, heals 500 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence one point as high as 50. The Unique Kralove is used in the craft of both the Inky Veil and a piece of the Sucker set, the Kralomansion, and consequently may be sold for a very high price. The great thing about Kralove is that they can be cooked entirely from ingredients purchased at the Grocery Store, but the bad thing about Kralove is that they're an expensive recipe. They stil heal more health-points than they cost to produce, but for the cost I think you may prefer to use them as food for dragoturkeys. You can also use Kralove to craft the Octovius hat which – like the Fisherman amulet – can be crushed for runes; in this case, the Octovius hat may be crushed for very powerful Vitality runes and some +Resist runes. Finally, Kralove are also used to craft the Asse Shield. Kralove are used for the following:
  • Grilled Kralove** +65 HP, 3 pods, 24 kamas to cook
  • Grilled Kralove*** +100 HP, 1 pod, 44 kamas to cook
  • Kralomansion (Unique Kralove)
  • Inky Veil (Unique Kralove)
  • Octovius (gutted Kralove)
  • Asse Shield (whole Kralove)

Blue Skate and Farle's Ray
Blue Skate are gathered from large and giant sea fish locations, as well as Frigost fish locations. The rare version, Farle's Ray, heals 700 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence by one point as high as 70. Blue Skate aren't used for any other crafts, but they are a great health-point recipe if you have an Alchemist to provide Mint Leaves. When it comes to Blue Skate, you'll always find yourself wondering, “To cook? Or not to cook? That is the question.” Blue Skate require up to 7 Wild Mint Leaves to cook, and as time-consuming as it can be to gather Wild Mint Leaves you may not want to use them for a consumable. Specifically, you may prefer to use your Wild Mint Leaves to craft energy-recovery Raid potions which typically sell faster and fetch higher prices than cooked Blue Skate, but the choice is yours. Energy recovery Raid potions are better than cooked fish, so I typically cook my Blue Skate when I have potions on the market and am waiting for them to sell. If you don't want to cook your Blue Skate, you can always use them to feed your mount. Blue Skate are used for the following:
  • Skate Wing** +90 HP, 3 pods, 44 kamas to cook
  • Skate Wing*** +170 HP, 1 pod, 60 kamas to cook

Sickle-Hammerhead Shark and Open-Market Shark
Sharks are caught from giant sea fish locations and Frigost fish locations. The rare version, Open-Market Shark, heals 1,000 health-points and permanently raises your Intelligence by one point as high as 100. The great thing about Sharks is that when cooked they heal as much as 200 health-points, but the bad thing about Sharks is that they're expensive to cook. You can still make a profit, but keep in mind that if you're selling at one-kama per health-point it leaves you a slim profit margin. Sharks are used for the following:
  • Spicy Shark** +150 HP, 3 pods, 70 kamas to cook
  • Spicy Shark*** +200 HP, 1 pod, 100 kamas to cook
  • Pesc Axe (whole Shark)
  • Sharkal Shield (gutted Shark)

Frigost Fish
When you reach 100 Fisherman, you'll be able to sail north and gather fish on the island of Frigost. When you go fishing in Frigost, there is only one sort of gathering location – Frigost Fish – and it will only provide certain types of fish: Shiny Sardine; Kralove; Blue Skate; Sickle-Hammerhead Shark; and...

Icefish and Frozen Icefish
The Icefish is only caught from Frigost Fish locations in – you guessed it – Frigost. I'm not certain how many health-points the rare Frozen Icefish heals since I myself haven't caught one yet, but depending on how it's cooked it will permanently raise either your Wisdom or your Intelligence one point as high as 100. Icefish are the very best recipe a Fishmonger can cook so it makes sense to increase your chances of catching them. What this means in practice is when you go to Frigost you should fish with the Telescopic rod instead of your Harpoon Rod; the reason for this is because the Harpoon Rod will increase your chances of catching Sickle-Hammerhead Sharks (and thus decrease your chances of catching Icefish.) When catching sea fish outside of Frigost, feel free to use your Harpoon Rod, but when you sail north be sure to pack it away and only use your Telescopic Rod because Sharks for Icefish is a trade you won't want to make.

Also worth noting is that cooked Icefish are the only food that may be fed to the Snowfoux pet, and the Snowfoux pet as you might know provides +50 Wisdom with a +20% area bonus on the entire island of Frigost making it a very valuable pet and also making its food very expensive. To give you an idea what I mean, cooked Icefish sell for 250,000 to 300,000 kamas per 100 on the Zatoishwan server at the time of this writing. Icefish are used for the following:
  • Icefish Fricassee +300 HP, 1 pod, 24 kamas to cook
  • Food for Snowfoux (+Wisdom)

How to Price your Fish for Sale at Market

The unfortunate reality is that the Bakers' Market indirectly the governs the sale of all other health-point consumables markets. To list your fish at a competitive price, you need to check the price of what's available on the Bakers' Market. For example, Cereal Bread (+100 HP, 1 pod) is probably the most sold health-point food on the Baker's market which consequently means that almost every other health-point consumable for sale in other markets is weighed against it. Because it's one-pod, this means you can stack it up for a pod-to-pod comparison against your cooked fish. To give you an idea what I mean by that, let's do a pod-to-pod price comparison. On 17 August 2013 on the Zatoishwan server Cereal bread has an averaged market price of 146 kamas per loaf and the cheapest listing is 18,999 kamas for 100, meaning it's priced at 189 kamas per loaf. Because it's just one pod, we can multiply this price higher or lower for every cooked fish we can sell. Try to follow me on this: 
  • 1 Cereal Bread: 100 HP (189 kamas per loaf x 1 pod, 18,999 per 100)
  • 1 Breaded Fish***: 50 HP (189 kamas per loaf x .5 value, 9,450 per 100)
  • 1 Shiny Sardine: 70 HP (189 kamas per loaf x .7 value, 13,230 per 100)
  • 1 Kralove***: 100 HP (189 kamas per loaf x 1 value, 18,999 per 100)
  • 1 Skate Fin: 170 HP (189 kamas per loaf x 1.7 value, 32,130 per 100)
  • 1 Spicy Shark: 200 HP (189 kamas per loaf x 2 value, 37,800 per 100)
  • 1 Icefish: 300 HP (189 kamas per loaf of bread x 3 value, 56,700 per 100)

For the higher quality cuts of fish I can occasionally price them higher, and for fish used to craft other useful items I always priced them much higher. If you like, you can use Microsoft Excel or download the free and awesome OpenOffice and write your own spreadsheet to automatically calculate prices. Also - Like it or not, buying bread is a habit. Once customers become accustomed to buying one sort of health-point food, they'll stick with it unless you give them a reason to change. You may need to conduct a public awareness campaign. Every 10 to 15 minutes that you're online, get on the Trade channel and make a cheesy commercial for the Fishmongers' market, such as "Don't waste your pods on bulky bread - eat fantastic fish instead! [Breaded Fish***] [Shiny Sardine***] [Kralove***] [Icefish] and more - don't delay, buy today!" If you have the space, you can include prices and point out that buying correctly-priced fish is equivalent to buying Cereal Bread, the only difference being that it'll take up less space in your inventory.

General Strategies for Successful Growth
You Don't Know How Lucky You Are
I've never felt so old in my life as the moment when I found myself talking like a geezer and preaching to the kids, “You don't know how lucky you are!,” but you know, it's true. Before the 2.13 update, the Fisherman profession was slightly to the left of witchcraft. Fish didn't bite every time which means that you could cast your rod 10 times and come back with just five fish. It also means that you could cast your rod 10 times and come back with no fish. In addition to this, the Fisherman profession was governed by an esoteric system of “magic hours” during which the rate at which fish bit rose to 90% and resource protectors were more likely to attack. The developers would not say when these magic hours came around and the available research seemed to indicate that the magic hours were different not just for sea and river fish but also the hours of the day and the days of the week. As if that wasn't enough, the magic hours were movable and changed day to day. It was very frustrating and raising a Fisherman was both punishing and unprofitable.

In the 2.13 update, the developers responded to complaints and suggestions from the community and not only gave Fishermen a 100% catch rate but also dramatically increased the rate at which resource protectors (devourers) attacked Fishermen. What this means for Fishermen is that even though we could not control exactly what fish we gathered, we are now able to gather fish in sufficient quantity to compete with Bakers and Butchers.

In the 2.13 update, Fishermen were also fortunate in that the developers normalized fishing times. Before 2.13, the Fisherman had different gathering times for almost all fish and at level 1 several fish had a 14 or 15 second gathering time; you can imagine how frustrating it is to cast your rod just four times per minute and not catch any fish. I'm proud to say I achieved level 94 Fisherman before the 2.13 update was implemented, but I'm delighted by the changes and I don't hold a grudge against any new Fishermen for the easier life they enjoy.

How to Fish
It's worth saying that fishing for rare fish and fishing for experience are two practically two different professions. When you're fishing for rare fish, you're going to use a speciality fishing rod if it's available for the fish you want and you're going to park your yourself at a high-density fishing location. You can catch rare fish just by casting your line into the water, but most players catch rare fish from resource protectors, also called devourers, who drop fish for Fishermen at a rate of .5%. So as you can see, the way to gather more rare fish is to fight more protectors... 

... and to have very high prospection. Chance built characters have an advantage in this respect and will drop rare fish more often than characters with lower prospection, but at the end of the day anybody can equip a Kaliptus dofus, Turquoise mount or prospection pet, and a strong set of prospection gear to increase their chances. When fishing for rares, you'll probably destroy all the non-rare fish you catch since you're going to be at it for hours, but there's reason you can't keep your common fish; the reason most Fishermen destroy their common fish while fishing for rare fish is because it saves time and avoids trips to the bank. The good news, though, about fishing for rares is that you can do this as soon as you hit level 20 Fisherman and are able to fight resource protectors. You won't do it as fast or be able to reach as many fish as the veteran Fishermen, but if you have the prospection points for it, then there's nothing stopping you from fishing for Kiye Gudgeon and Horror Grawn.

When it comes to fishing for experience, catch anything that moves. Regardless of your level as a Fisherman, when you want to gain experience you don't have much choice in the matter: you're going to have to pick the fishing rod with the longest range and catch anything and everything that's available to you. Whatever it is – small, medium, large, and giant – if you can catch it, you had better be putting your line in the water. If you're raising a Fishmonger, then by all means keep your fish, but if you're done raising your Fishmonger or don't want a particular fish feel free to dump it on the map for some other Fisherman to pick up or else destroy it to free up your space. Eliminating your inventory when it gets full is in my opinion both wasteful and silly, but it will save you trips to the bank and help you make longer fishing trips.

When fishing for experience, you'll also have to follow the stars. And I don't mean the stars in the sky, but the stars in the water. The resource maturity system in Dofus adds a star to a resource or mob of monsters of every two hours that it hasn't been gathered or killed. A gathering location can accumulate as many as 10 stars, and each star gives +20% experience and – with respect to harvestable locations – extra resources. When a gathering location has between one and five stars, the stars are yellow, but when it has between six and 10 stars they're red. In other words, yellow stars count as one and red stars count as two. Because Fisherman is a time-consuming profession to raise, it's very important that you make the most of your time and find locations with the best stars. Madrestram Harbor and Kawaii River are typically over-fished and have little or no stars, whereas other locations like Sufokia, Koalak Mountain, the Astrub and Amakna Castle Rat Tunnels, the Dreggon Peninsula, Porco Territory, Bandit Territory, and most land-locked ponds and lakes are comparatively under-fished.

If you find yourself in a place where there are no stars, that means a Fisherman has been there within the past two hours. In fact, you can know precisely when the last Fisherman was through there by counting the stars over your resources:
  • No stars: within the past two hours, no bonus experience.
  • 1 star: within the past four hours, +20% experience.
  • 2 stars: within the past six hours, +40% experience.
  • 3 stars: within the past eight hours, +60% experience.
  • 4 stars: within the past 10 hours, +80% experience.
  • 5 stars: within the past 12 hours, +100% experience.
  • 6 stars: within the past 14 hours, +120% experience.
  • 7 stars: within the past 16 hours, +140% experience.
  • 8 stars: within the past 18 hours, +160% experience.
  • 9 stars: within the past 20 hours, +180% experience
  • 10 stars: untouched for at least 22 hours, +200% experience.

So you see, if you use your detective skills you'll be able to find the fishing locations which are visited much less frequently and make the best of your time. And pardon me for lecturing, but it's time for a message from the Amakna Conservation Authority: if you're on the same map as another Fisherman, or in an area with no stars, please be kind and go fish somewhere else so the supply of fish and quality of stars can regenerate. If you're fishing for experience, then camping one location to the point that there are consistently no stars over any locations is pointless. Also, if you're on the same map as another Fisherman then you're both going to be fighting over the same fishing locations and that's just silly. There are so many places to fish in the World of 12 that it makes no sense to get silly and greedy about where you fish.

You Cannot Do That
An irritation Fishermen will encounter until they can use the Telescopic Fishing Rod is being told, “You Can Not Do That.” The trouble with sea and river fish gathering locations is that Fishermen can't walk right up to them the same as a Farmer may walk up to a field of wheat. Instead, the Fisherman uses a fishing rod to cast his line, and in Dofus the beginner fishing rods (and most of the speciality fishing rods) have a very short range. This means that for a long time you're going to click on a gathering location to cast your rod and be told “You Can Not Do That,” because the range on your rod just isn't far enough to reach. There are two reasons you'll see this message: the first is if the gathering location is simply too far away and can't be gathered, and the second is if your character is poorly positioned and can't reach it from where he or she stands.

Quite frequently the problem is the latter and not the former, but there's a solution to this: right-click on the screen, hover over General Options, and select the choice that says, “Show the Grid.” When you turn on the grid, it will show you all the places where you may stand on the map. For reasons I don't understand, Dofus does a poor job of positioning Fishermen when they click on a gathering location, but if you turn on the grid you can usually manually position your character better and catch more fish more often than if you allow Dofus to say, “You Can Not Do That.”

How to Avoid Monsters
Apart from the generally slow progress of the Fisherman, the other most frustrating part about the profession is dealing with monsters. When you click on a gathering location to cast your rod, your character will typically move to the closest linear position on the map regardless of the range of the fishing rod. This means lots of times you'll have the range but your character will want to move to the position on the map just one or two cells away from the gathering location, or that your character will think it's best to move to a cell on the map 15 or more cells away from the fishing location because it somehow makes sense. This is frustrating because your character can move unpredictably and into dangerous situations without warning.

For example, when fishing along the Kawaii River or in Sufokia, your character will frequently try to occupy the same space on the map as a mob of Crabs or Piwis which, in turn, starts a fight with said mob. The way to get around this sort of uninvited combat is to pay attention to where enemy mobs are positioned on the map: if you see a mob close to the shore and also close to a gathering location, then you need to either start the fight yourself to kick them off your fishing location or just wait for them to move. Often enough you can fish other locations on the same map while waiting for a mob to move, so don't get your panties in a knot if the mob makes you move around a bit. The easiest way to deal with mobs blocking your fishing locations is to open the Options menu, go to the Performance tab, and un-select the option that says, “Show All Monsters.” This way, instead of a massive mob of eight crabs crowding out your shoreline, you'll just see one crab scuttering along and believe me – that goes a long way to preventing uninvited combat.

The other sort of uninvited combat you're going to encounter is aggressive monsters who automatically initiate combat if you approach too close. I talk more about specific aggressive monsters in the next section, Where to Fish, but for now there are some general rules that will help. First, turn on the grid. To do this, right-click on the map, hover the mouse over “General Options,” and click the choice that says “Show the Grid.” This will show you the map grid along which all characters move and will allow you to see where along the shoreline you are able to stand. This will help you get the best positioning for casting your rod, but it will also allow you to easily move at diagonals and at just the right distance away from aggressive mobs to avoid uninvited combat. Also, when you turn off the display-all-monsters option, aggressive mobs become much smaller: instead of having to walk around a large mob of eight aggressive monsters, instead you can just navigate your way around one aggressive monster. You'll find that this strategy makes it very easy to fish in places with aggressive monsters and will help you take advantage of starred fishing locations.

Where to Fish
The very first thing to know about where to fish is that all Fishermen are liars who never share their secrets. I have several fishing holes off the beaten path, but if you think I'm going to tell you where they are then you're dumber than an Iop. So, having said that, I'll leave it at this: to be a true Fisherman you should keep your eyes and ears open, and also be willing to explore new places. If you do these things, you'll find my secret fishing holes the same way I did.

When it comes to fish, the World of 12 is an odd place. For every place you expect to find fish but don't, there's another place you wouldn't think to find fish but you do; however, generally speaking, the best way to find fish is to follow the water. Specifically, follow the shore lines and you'll find just about everything you want.

The very first place you can fish is at the pond in Incarnum where you'll find a large selection of small river fish. It's not much, but then it is Incarnum – what did you expect? The supply of fish is infinite and they're all positioned within one cell of solid ground so this means you can make fast and consistent experience here until you move into a fishing rod with better range. The next place you'll find to fish is the pond in Astrub. Again, it's full of small river fish, and again, what did you expect? It's Astrub. Still, the fish are easy to catch with your short-range fishing rod so as long as the pond isn't being over-fished by a dozen Fishermen at the same time you can make fast, consistent progress here until you're ready to catch sea fish at the Rocky Inlet.

If you start in the north-east, you can catch small and medium sea fish in the Astrub Rocky Inlet. This area is infrequently fished which means as a young Fisherman you can make good progress here. After the Rocky Inlet, follow the coast down toward the bridge to Pandala: this will give you a steady mix of small and medium sea fish and, when you get closer to Amakna Castle, small and medium river fish. As you follow the shore you'll notice just north of Amakna Castle a mine entrance into the underground: this is one of a few ways to enter the Amakna Castle's rat tunnels (which also connect back to the Astrub deep tunnels) which are in my opinion the best fishing location for river fish of all sizes. If you choose to fish the Rat Tunnels, just be aware that all the rats down there are aggressive and because of the tight maps you can't usually walk around them. You're going to have a slow time of it if you can't hit hard in either Air or Fire.

Keep following the shore around Amakna Castle and you'll pass the west gate into the city, the Temple of Ecaflip, a Bank, and the Temple of Pandawa. But if you keep going past the Temple of Pandawa, you'll find the southern city walls of Amakna are surrounded by a deep moat with plenty of small, medium, large, and giant river fish. 

At this point, you can go either east or south. If you go east, you'll find Madrestram Harbor which is in my opinion the second best place for catching sea fish. Madrestram Harbor is exactly what you'd think to find: lots and lots of fish everywhere you turn. Madrestram Harbor has a terrific mix of small, medium, large, and giant sea fish with locations accessible to Fishermen of any level and fishing rods of any range. My only complaint about Madrestram Harbor is that it is comparatively over-fished which means you'll have a hard time finding starred fishing locations. If you look at your map, you'll find that if you go more to the south-east you'll find a coastal inlet to the Kawaii River. Just follow the shore and you'll discover several lovely fishing locations full of small, medium, large, and giant river fish.

At this point, you can only go south along the Kawaii River. Speaking for myself, I almost never fish the Kawaii River because it is comparatively over-fished and rarely has stars; however, that doesn't change the fact that you can fish either side of the river and find a strong mix of small and medium river fish and a weaker mix of large and giant river fish. Be aware that if you stay on the north side of the river you'll run out of land and need to back-track to a bridge.

As you follow the Kawaii River south, you'll pass the Temples of Eniripsa and Osamodas as well as a submarine to the Foggernaut Temple. Continuing the path of the river will bring you to the Temple of Feca and the beginning of the Asse Coast. Just east of the Temple of Feca you'll find a spectacular fishing location chock full of small, medium, large, and giant sea fish, but if you think you'll find starred fishing locations here you've been drinking too much Greedoburg rum. This location is typically camped by level 100 Fishermen because it allows them an almost unlimited supply of fish and – with their over-maged prospection gear – excellent opportunities to catch rare fish.

Continuing south along the Asse Coast will give you a variety of mostly small and medium sea fish and eventually leads to Brouce Boulgore's Clearing and the beginning of your next batch of River fish. This path leads you to the northern bridge into Bandit Territory where you can either choose to enter Bandit Territory or move west along the shoreline of the Amakna Forest lake. If you move west, you can follow the shoreline all the way back into Bandit Territory and you'll find a terrific mix of small, medium, large, and giant river fish. These shores are among my favorite fishing locations due to the terrific variety of fish they present.

When you loop back into Bandit Territory, you'll have the opportunity to catch both river and sea fish: small, medium, large, and giant river fish on the western shore, and small and medium sea fish on the eastern shore. The thing to remember about Bandit Territory is that the Dark folk are peaceful – they will not aggress you – but the Rogue Bandits are dangerous and they will initiate fights if you approach within two cells. At the time of this writing, Bandit Territory is comparatively under-fished which means for the low-levelled Fishermen out there they can make fast progress if they simply avoid the Rogue Bandits.

When you finish Bandit Territory, you have two choices: you can either move south into Sufokia, or you can move west along the northern shores of the Sufokian Gulf Shoreline. If you move west along the shoreline of the Gulf, you'll find a steady mix of small and medium sea fish, but if you move south into Sufokia you'll find what I consider to be the best location for gathering sea fish in the entire World of 12. My opinion is that Sufokia is an under-appreciated gem: it's stocked full of small, medium, large, and giant sea fish; it has a bank; there's a zaap and zaapi for easy movement; easy access to a Fisherman's and Fishmonger's workshop; and a Grocery Store in close proximity to everything I just mentioned. Sufokia is truly a Fisherman's paradise! The easiest way to fish Sufokia is to ride the zaapi to Jelly Quay and then fish your way north. Just move east and west (or west and east), and when you've exhaused one parallel, move north one map and repeat the process. This will show you all there is to see in Sufokia and also ensure that you won't miss any stars along the way.

When you get done with Sufokia and the shorelines of the Gulf of Sufokia, you'll have to move west along the southern shore of the Jelly Peninsula which is composed of small and medium sea fish. Following the southern shoreline of the Jelly Peninsula will lead you into the Scaraleaf Plains which – after the lake of Amakna Forest – is probably the third best location for gathering river fish in the World of 12. You'll find a steady mix of small, medium, large, and giant river fish here. Scaraleaf Plain is at the time of this writing comparatively under-fished and you can usually find at least a few stars (unlike the Kawaii River which is usually over-fished and typically has no stars.)

Following the southern shoreline of the Scaraleaf Plain will take you to the bridge into Porco Territory which is great for catching large and giant river fish. The thing to remember about Porco Territory is that none of these pigges are aggressive, but of course the other thing to remember is that unless you're very high-levelled you should be very cautious that you don't accidentally start a fight by occupying the same cell as an enemy mob when you move to cast your rod over a fishing location. At the time of this writing, Porco Territory is comparatively under-fished and although it's a small area can be a source of great experience.

After Porco Territory, you'll follow the remainder of the Scaraleaf Plain north to the Scaraleaf Plain zaap where you'll find the northern bridge into the Dreggon Peninsula. The great thing about the Dreggon Peninsula is that the aggressive Dreggons keep most fishermen away and you'll almost always find ten-starred fishing locations. Of course, the terrible thing about the Dreggon Peninsula is that all the Dreggons are aggressive and if you're not careful will either slow your progress or, well... eat you. If you turn on the grid and turn off the display-all-monsters, you can usually walk around Dreggons with ease.

After the Dreggon Peninsula, the next closest fishing destination is the Enchanted Lakes just north of Koalak Mountain's Breeder Village and Dragoturkey Territory. The Enchanted Lakes are comparatively under-fished which means you can make great experience on the red-starred gathering locations there, but to be honest I never go there because I feel like there just aren't enough fish in the lakes to make up for the time I'll spend navigating around aggressive Koalaks. You'll find a fair mix of small, medium, large, and giant river fish, but they're spread out so thin that you'll be moving around a lot and could be making better progress somewhere else. Of course, if you're doubling up by killing ten-starred Koalak mobs for character experience at the same time, then you're making the best out of a mediocre situation.

Madrestam Harbour, Sufokia, and to an extent the Asse Coast are great destinations for catching sea fish, but since the 2.14 update in September 2013 we can add to that list the Wabbit Islands. In case you haven't visited there yet, I have to say - it's a gold-mine for Fishermen. The outside rims of the Wabbit Islands are stocked with more than 400 small, medium, large, and giant fish gathering locations. On top of that, Wild Mint grows like weeds on the Wabbit Islands, so if you're able to catch Blue Skate you'll be able to double up on your time as an Alchemist by picking Wild Mint while you wait for the sea fish to re-appear (and vice versa, catch sea fish while you wait for the Wild Mint to grow back.)

As much as I would like it, there are no fish in the Cania Lake surrounding the lighthouse and also no fish along the north-western shores by Dopple Village and the boats to Frigost and the Labyrinth of the Minotoror. If you want more fish, the only place left for you to go is Frigost where at profession level 100 you can catch Frigost fish from the port waters of Frigost Village, holes in the Frozen Lake, and the volcanic waters of Alma's Cradle. Of course, there are a few land-locked ponds and lakes off the beaten path where you can find some fat river fish, but you'll have to find those on your own.

Patience is a Virtue

The Road to 100 Fisherman
The first thing that needs to be said about gathering fish is what I already said: you don't know how lucky you are. Before the 2.13 update, Fishermen didn't have a 100% catch rate which meant that unless they were lucky and stumbled into a so called “magic hour” for catching fish they could have an averaged catch rate of as low as 50%. After the 2.13 update, Fishermen got lucky when the developers not only gave them a 100% catch rate on all fish but also set it so that Fishermen were attacked by resource protectors much more frequently. This was a boon because resource protectors (called devourers) carry bags of 50 fish equal to the sort of fish you were catching when they attacked. This also means that Fishermen now have many more chances to catch rare fish.

The second thing that needs to be said about gathering fish is that Fishermen must remember that each gathering location offers between three and four different types of fish. For example, this means that on a map with one each of small, medium, large, and giant river fish, the Fisherman may catch any of the 14 different common and rare river fish as well as the Dorkfish. Likewise, on a map with one each of small, medium, large, and giant sea fish, the Fisherman may catch any of the 14 different common and rare sea fish. Or, in Frigost, a Fisherman may catch one of 10 different common and rare sea fish.

To put this in perspective, pretend for a moment that you were a Farmer. In order to gather the grains you need to make flour and bake bread, you'd have to go to specific fields and sometimes only a handful of maps to find the cereal in question (Farmers are often irritated by the very small quantity of Barley fields in Dofus.) If Farmers gathered the same as Fishermen, this would mean that every field they visited would have at least one of every type of cereal found outside of Frigost. If you were a Farmer, wouldn't you be delighted if you knew that you could just go to one single map to gather everything you needed? Well, that's what we Fishermen enjoy: assuming we're not fishing for experience, we can go to just one map to get all our fish in one place. And believe you me, that's quite a benefit because it saves a lot of time: all that running around Farmers do to reach their different fields? We don't do it because we're already fishing.

Fisherman 0-10
Until level 10 Fisherman, you only have two rods from which to choose: the Apprentice fishing rod given to you if you start Fisherman in Incarnum, and the Short fishing Rod available for puchase in Astrub and Madrestram Harbour. The Apprentice and Short fishing rods each have a range of 1 meaning there's very few fish you can catch so your fishing locations are limited. Until level 10, you may also only catch fish from small river and sea fish gathering locations so the best places for you to go are Incarnum; Astrub; and the Rocky Inlet. Beyond this, you may also choose to rent a Snapper Rod from Mer at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia at (17,26). It's 500 kamas to rent the fishing rod, but the Scwhimming Pool has an endless supply of contest snappers to catch. They're not worth anything and they can't be used for anything, but contest snappers are still a fast way to gain experience as a Fisherman. Speaking for myself, I started Fisherman before the 2.13 update so for me it was faster to buy whole fish and gut until level 24, but after the 2.13 update you have a 100% catch rate which means you can make fast progress on contest snappers. Remember that you won't start fighting resource protectors until after level 20, so if you level your Fisherman on worthless fish until then you're not missing very much. Remember: if you decided to catch sea fish, do not gut or cook your Grawn because they're more valuable as either stuffing for Pike or materials to craft Fisherman amulets.

Fisherman 10-30
Starting at level 10, you'll be able to use the Standard fishing rod which has a range of 3 cells. It's still not very much, but hey – it's still three times longer than what you had before! Starting from level 10 you'll be able to catch medium river fish, so the best strategy is to fish the rivers: Scaraleaf Plain, the lake of Amakna Forest, the Kawaii River, and the Rat Tunnels. Starting from level 20, you'll be able to catch medium sea fish, so the best strategy is to fish up and down the eastern coast from Madrestram Harbour to the Asse Coast and from Bandit Territory into Sufokia. You can also make progress at this level fishing the shoreline of the Gulf of Sufokia. Remember: you can gut and cook your Breaded Fish, but if you don't need the experience for your Fishmonger just put them in you Bank and save them for when you start cooking Lard Bass. Alternately, you can continue catching contest snappers at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia. The fish can't be used for anything, but they're still good experience so if you don't mind losing out on the usable fish then the Schwimming Pool is made for you.

Fisherman 30-40
At level 30 you can still only catch small and medium river and sea fish, but you may now use the Knitting Needle and the Cubic fishing rod which specialize in catching Kittenfish and Breaded Fish, respectively. Assuming that you're fishing for experience, you will want to use whatever fishing rod is available to you with the longest range and in this case its the Knitting Needle and the Cubic fishing rod. These rods have a range of four cells which will feel like a huge improvement over what you had. From level 30 to 39 you can only catch small and medium river and sea fish, so because it's balanced it makes sense for you to fish freely among fresh and salt water locations. Remember too that when you catch Grawn you should not not gut them, and when you catch Crab Sticks if you don't need them for Fishmonger experience you will probably want to keep them for use when you start cooking Lard Bass. Almost anywhere is good experience for your Fisherman at this level so have a walk around the World of 12 and see what you can find.

Fisherman 40-60
Beginning at level 40 Fisherman you can catch fish from large river fish gathering locations which means you can finally catch the Lard Bass with which you can stuff the Crab Sticks you've been saving. The very best part of level 40 Fisherman is that you can pick up a new fishing rod, the Big fishing rod, which has a range of five cells. One extra cell of range doesn't seem like much, but you'll notice that it makes such a difference. You can still catch sea fish if it strikes your fancy, but because the only large fish you can catch come from rivers you'll probably want to fish lakes and rivers to make the most of your time. Fortunately, once you reach level 50 Fisherman you can also catch sea fish from large sea fish gathering locations.

Fisherman 60-70
Shortly after you pass level 50 Fisherman you're going to get the Fisherman blues because you don't get a new fishing rod until level 60 and you can't catch any new fish until level 70. At level 60 you'll get Cho's fishing rod and the Love rod which specialize in catching Ediem Carp and Kralove, respectively, but also give you a range of six cells. These rods will for the first time in your Fisherman career give you the feeling, “Oh, lawdy, this is so nice.” The stretch from level 60 to 70 Fisherman is going to try your patience, but remember that at this point you can catch small, medium, and large fish from both fresh and salt water gathering locations so put on your walking shoes again and take a walk around the World of 12 in search of starred fishing locations. It's at this point in your Fisherman career that you'll probably want to go fishing in the Rat Tunnels to make the most of the usually ten-starred fishing locations.

Fisherman 70-100
Congratulations on achieving level 70 Fisherman! At level 70 you immediately get two rewards: a new Fishing rod, the Telescopic fishing rod which has a range of seven cells; and the ability to gather fish from giant river fish gathering locations. I found that at this point in my career hunting stars became less important because I could catch any fresh water fish. Because the time I spent to complete a gathering action was now quite short and I could gather any fresh water fish, I was making better experience per minute just following the rivers and catching anything that swam. If you find that you make better experience following stars, then by all means you should do it, but my experience was that I made fast progress fishing my way across the coast of the Scaraleaf Plain, around the lake of Amakna Forest, through Bandit Territory, and up the Kawaii River. To each his or her own, so pick your poison and choose the one less bitter.

At level 80 you'll earn the right to gather fish from giant sea fish gathering locations which in simple terms means, “Congratulations! You can now catch everything that swims outside of Frigost!” What happened for you at level 70 is now more or less that is happening for you at level 80: because you can catch anything that swims, you can probably make better experience per minute just following a circuit around the edge of the continent. The push for level 100 Fisherman is slow, but progress is steady and if you work at it consistently you will achieve your goal.

Fisherman after 100
Once you achieve level 100 Fisherman you'll earn the right to use the best fishing poles in the game: the Big Pole and the Harpoon rod, which each have a range of eight cells and specialize in catching Perch and Shark, respectively. What's worth remembering here is that the Harpoon rod specializes in Sharks which can be gathered from the same location as Icefish in Frigost. What this means in practical terms is that if you fish in Frigost with a Harpoon fishing rod you'll catch more Sharks than you will Icefish and that's a trade you don't want to make. Sharks are very expensive to cook, whereas Icefish are very cheap to cook and heal more health-points. So, when you fish salt waters outside Frigost, feel free to use your Harpoon rod, but when you fish salt waters inside Frigost be sure to equip your Telescopic fishing rod or you'll regret it in the end.

The Road to 100 Fishmonger
So the downside to your portfolio is that your Fisherman profession makes slow and boring progress, but the upside to your portfolio is that your Fishmonger profession is very easy and fast to level. I've given some advice in the “What's on the Menu?” section, but in the end the absolute most important advice I can give is what I've already said before: Do not gut your Grawn, and do not cook your Crab Sticks. I don't care how much you think that experience is going to help you along, because you will absolutely want those fish when you begin cooking Pike and Lard Bass.

What also has to be considered is that even with speciality fishing rods you don't have a lot of control over what your Fisherman catches so your Fishmonger is just going to have to settle for whatever he or she can get. You can choose to cook three-star recipes, but in the end you get the same amount of Fishmonger experience for cooking the much cheaper two-star recipes. You can try and sell your two-star recipes, but remember too that you can always keep these junk fish and eat them later to save yourself money. Alternately, you can sell your fish to an NPC: many of the two-star two- and three-slot recipes your Fishmonger can cook may be sold to an NPC for the same cost as the ingredients you purchased to cook them which means you can effectively level your Fishmonger profession for free.

Fishmonger Level 0-10: Two-slot Fishes
Because you want to save your Grawn and Crab Sticks for use in later recipes, I encourage you to either level your Fisherman at the Schwimming Pool in Sufokia or focus on catching river fish. Sliced Gudgeon is a pretty poor recipe, but Trout Flambe*** +30 HP is just good enough to merit cooking and either selling or keeping. After you pass level 10 Fishmonger you'll probably want to leave your Trout and Gudgeon whole because they're more profitable as food for pets and dragoturkeys than as cooked meals. From level 0 to 10 Fishmonger, you'll want to focus on the following recipes:
  • Sliced Gudgeon
  • Trout Flambe

Fishmonger Level 10-20: Three-slot Fishes
You can continue to use two-slot recipes to raise your Fishmonger, but if you're hungry for faster progress you can certainly move into the three-slot recipes. My own experience is that all your options at this level are popular sellers when cooked as three-star dishes, so feel free to list them on the Fishmonger's market. You can cook your Gudgeon and Trout, but like I said – I think you'll make more money selling them as food for mounts and pets. From level 10 to 20 Fishmonger, you'll want to focus on the following recipes:
  • Fried Breaded Fish
  • Fried Sardine
  • Smoked Kittenfish

Fishmonger Level 20-40: Four-slot Fishes
As before, you can continue to cook anything that's available to you. From this point, I don't recommend cooking any more two-slot recipes, but three-slot recipes will be good for experience until level 80 Fishmonger and good kamas for the lifetime of your Fishmonger. When you're raising your Fishmonger I certainly encourage you to cook whatever Kralove you catch, but I myself typically sell them as food for mounts or use them to craft Octovius hats because they're expensive to cook. Steamed Carp, on the other hand, are spectacularly easy fish to cook and very profitable so feel free to put them on the market. From level 20 to 40 Fishmonger, you'll want to focus on the following recipes:
  • Grilled Kralove
  • Steamed Carp

Fishmonger Level 40-60: Five-slot Fishes
For reasons I can't understand, the Fishmonger has only one five-slot recipe and it's not even very good eating at that. The Stuffed Pike uses whole Grawn and if you've been saving them in your Bank then you just earned a gold star for making a wise decision because they will help you make fast progress on your Fishmonger. After you've passed level 60 Fishmonger and don't need Stuffed Pike anymore for experience, I'm almost certain you'll rather sell them as food for mounts and pets because not only are Stuffed Pike expensive to cook but at just +70 health-points on the three-star recipe they aren't popular sellers. From level 40 to 60 Fishmonger, you'll unfortunately have to focus on the following one recipe:
  • Stuffed Pike

Fishmonger Level 60-80: Six-slot Fishes
Finally. Finally we're getting somewhere! At level 60 you've earned enough experience to cook Grilled Bass, Seared Perch, and Skate Wing. Oh, yeah... and Dorkfish, too. The important thing to remember about your six-slot recipes is that you can't cook them without prior planning. Grilled Bass require gutted Crab Sticks; Seared Perch require Five-Leaf Clover; and Skate Wings require Wild Mint Leaves. If you don't have an inventory of gutted Crab Sticks, or if you don't have an Alchemist to pick Five Leaf Clovers and Wild Mint Leaves, you're going to be a very sad, frustrated little Fishmonger and will need to fall back on three- and four-slot recipes. I cannot emphasize strongly enough the importance of having an Alchemist at your disposal if you have any plans of ever reaching 100 Fishmonger in a timely manner. From level 60 to 80 Fishmonger, you'll want to focus on the following recipes:
  • Grilled Bass
  • Seared Perch
  • Skate Wing
  • Dorkfish

Fishmonger Level 80-100: Seven-slot Fishes
Once you reach level 80 Fishmonger, you have effectively mastered the profession. The only thing left for you beyond this point is to cook Icefish, but other than that there's nothing in either the seas or the rivers that you can't catch and cook. Congratulations! If you're desperate for experience, you can at this level still gain experience from four-slot recipes and higher so at this point your goal should be to fish for rare fish and promote the consumption of delicious cooked fishes. From level 80 to 100 Fishmonger, you'll want to focus on the following recipes:
  • Spicy Shark

Congratulations on reaching 100 Fisherman and Fishmonger!
Now get out there and cut the fins off a shark for all the hungry children of Amakna!
0 0
Respond to this thread